June 26, 2010

The great guitar project of 2010

Here's the grand plan:

I'm starting to build two guitars - at the same time. A great friend of mine said that I should, so I can screw up on the first guitar and fix it on the second. Too bad the guitars will be built in entirely different styles!

Exhibit A:

A Jazzmaster-style guitar. This is the first guitar that I have ever built. The wood has not yet been chosen - pictures will walk you through the entire process. Likely mahogany and maybe maple. The goal is to get Jazzmaster-esque electronics and deck it out J. Mascis style. I've been listening to a lot of Dinosaur Jr. recently.

Unlike the standard Jazzmasters, I want to put a Bigsby trem on it. I am thinking about using the P90 soapbar style pickups, but am not yet sure. Have toyed with the idea of building my own pickups. Probably a stupid plan, but a plan none the less. I want to do a coke-bottle style headstock (think Danelectro). It will be a straight on headstock, not angled.

Exhibit B:

This will be a challenge. I am designing a Gretsch Duo Jet style Double cutaway guitar. In that feeling, the guitar will be semi-hollow body (shaking with fear and anticipation) with a Bigsby trem (think I like them?) and in this guitar I will be using a GFS Lipstick humbucker and a TV Classic - though it could become two GFS Lipsticks. Read a forum where a guy wired them to push-pull pots and had them working single coil and humbucker. Crazy! Standard Gretsch-style headstock.

Why am I doing this? I'm a glutton for punishment. And I'm sure my fiance is tired of hearing me moan about the type of guitars I wish I had.

Been following this guy that is doing a sparkle finish tele - man he's good! Though he didn't build everything himself. Which I will be doing (sorry Bucko!)

Don't know how I feel about Krylon and glitter...but if it works, it works!

Check him out here. - http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/86203-emeraldcaster-project-aka-son-meloncaster.html

FORTHCOMING IN NEXT ISSUE: CAD drawings of the Gretsch-electro.
FORTHCOMING NEXT WEDNESDAY: A trip to the lumber yard! Check out this place!

Chime in, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not leave anonymous comments. Type in your name, or even better, become a follower!