July 11, 2010

The Passat rimshot.

The first order of business today is to take my car to an auto parts place so I can have a check engine code read. Then figure out how to get it fixed. After that, maybe I'll have time to do more guitar work.

Here's what I did last night, pre-car episode.



First, I got on the old table saw and cut up my Sipo. Four pieces...




22" long (ish) by 17" wide.

I then proceeded to glue two of them into one single guitar blank.



That's a lot of glue! But the last thing I want is this thing falling apart. For the sake of trademarking and such, I used a wood glue that starts with "T"...and ends with "itebond."

I then got to clamping. And everyone knows what you get when you clamp two things that are glued together, right?



Seepage! SEEPAGE! I drink your milkshake! Initially, I decided to use four clamps, and some scrap wood I found in the scrap bin, to hold this thing together. After the initial gluing showed a minuscule gap in the middles of the edges that weren't clamped, I went up to 6 clamps. That seems to work well.



Nice, huh? I hope it comes out okay.

I then proceeded to head upstairs and print off my templates. To print them full scale, I had to tile print them with overlap. Then I'll stick them together using tape. I may even tape them to a piece of poster board for added stability.

That's it for now folks. Off to get the car fixing started, so it may be this evening or it may be days before the next posting. Stay tuned!

I think I fixed the comments section. If you leave an anonymous comment or a comment not linked to an account as a follower, I will delete it without posting it.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. I'm really glad I don't have to play this thing as is! The clamps are really heavy, and would kind of get in the way.

    ReplyDelete

Please do not leave anonymous comments. Type in your name, or even better, become a follower!